Roermond is a city practically made for history buffs and shopaholics. If you are one or the other, you’re sure to have a good time visiting this principal city of central Limburg. If you are both, you’ll think you’re in heaven! From Roman origins to discount Prada, not to mention idyllic nature and rivers made for watersports, there’s something for everyone in Roermond, no matter what the time of year.
Some interesting facts:
- The Celts were some of the earliest residents of the area, and later there was a Roman settlement in the location where Roermond now is. By 1232, Roermond was officially recognized as a town, given its own seal and court. The town became a member of the the Hanseatic League in 1441 and was even minting its own coins by 1472.
- Roermond has served as the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Roermond since 1559.
- The biggest witch trial in the Netherlands took place in Roermond in 1613, when sixty-four witches were burnt on the Galgeberg hill.
- By the time the World War II ended, more than ninety percent of the city had been damaged or destroyed. There was a concerted effort to rebuild Roermond and today there are many listed buildings for visitors to enjoy, ranging from guild houses to impressive churches.
- The facade of Roermand’s city hall dates back to 1700, while the carillon in the tower was donated in 1982 to mark the 750th anniversary of the city. In 1995, a group of moving figures that revolve around the tower every hour was added. Make sure you’re in the square to see this charming sight.
- The Munsterkerk church, dates to the 13th century. It is on the list of the Top 100 Dutch heritage sites. It was renovated by Pierre Cuypers between 1863 and 1890. Cuypers, one of the most prolific and revered architects of the Netherlands, responsible for among other notable buildings Amsterdam’s Central Station and Rijksmuseum, is from Roermond. The Cuypershuis Museum, features exhibitions dedicated to his life and work. Plus, the building itself is an example of his work.
- With approximately 200 stores the Roermond McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Mall is one of the largest and most successful outlet malls in Europe.
For more on Roermond, read Issue 56 of Dutch the magazine.
For more on The Netherlands, the Dutch, and the Dutch diaspora, subscribe to Dutch the magazine!