Though originally French, gratin is frequently served as a side dish in the Netherlands. Most Dutch, however, add grated cheese for extra flavor. Gouda goes well with almost everything, and this is no exception. For variation, I’ve used zucchini together with the potatoes, but you can also make this dish with potatoes alone.
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 11 oz zucchini, thinly sliced
- 11 oz potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1½ cup cream
- 1 cup grated Gouda
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- Heat the butter in an ovenproof skillet, and fry the garlic on a very low heat until softened and fragrant. Do not allow the garlic to brown.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and arrange the zucchini and potato slices in a circular pattern, alternating each ingredient.
- Mix the cream with the cheese, and seasoning to your liking.
- Pour this mixture over the vegetables, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden.
Subscribe to Dutch the magazine for all our Dutch recipes!