A lekkerbek (or lekkerbekje) is a piece of battered, deep-fried fish, a snack that many Dutch people enjoy straight at the fishmonger’s cart. The word lekkerbek also refers to someone who loves good food, a gourmand.
For more Dutch resipes with Seafood, check out Issue 7 of Dutch the magazine…
- 4 large pieces whiting or cod
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Dry the fish on both sides and rub with some of the flour.
- Make a thick batter with the remaining ingredients.
- If the batter is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk.
- Heat a fryer to 375°F, or heat the oil in a cast-iron pan on the stove. Take the necessary safety precautions and keep kids and pets out of the kitchen.
- Try a small piece first: dip it in the batter and fry. Taste, and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Dip the fish in the batter, making sure all sides are covered, and immerse in the hot oil. Fry to a golden brown.
- Remove the fish from the oil and place on paper towels to absorb the fat.
Subscribe to Dutch the magazine for all our Dutch recipes!