There’s no better way to celebrate the start of the asparagus season than with this classic dish. You can serve it with boiled new potatoes or fresh bread to mop up the melted butter.
- 1 lb white asparagus, peeled and woody ends removed
- 4 eggs
- 12 thin slices roast ham
- ¾ stick butter
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, and cook the asparagus (covered) for 10 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and leave the asparagus to continue cooking for an additional 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, slowly melt the butter and soft boil the eggs.
- Drain the asparagus thoroughly, and divide them over 4 plates.
- Drape the ham next to the asparagus.
- Peel the eggs, slice them in half, and place them on top of the asparagus.
- Pour the melted butter over the dish.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
For more recipes with asparagus, read Issue 41 of Dutch the magazine.
Subscribe to Dutch the magazine for all our Dutch recipes!