This aromatic apple crumble with speculaas spices is an easy dessert to make. If you want, you can make the topping in advance and freeze it. When ready to bake, simply cover the apples with the frozen topping. Besides apples, you can make the crumble with pears or plums.
If desired, you can bake the crumble in individual ramekins instead of a pie dish.
- 8 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 12 tbsps oatmeal
- 4 tbsps ground almonds
- 2 tsps speculaaskruiden
- 4 tbsps dark brown sugar
- 130g cold butter, diced
- 4 small apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- Cinnamon or vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 390°F and butter a 9-inch pie dish.
- Mix the flour, oatmeal, ground almonds, speculaaskruiden and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter, either with a pastry cutter or with your fingertips. The mixture should resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- Place the chopped apples in the baking dish and cover with the topping. Bake for approx. 35 minutes.
Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream.
For more delicious recipes with speculaaskruiden, read Issue 56 of Dutch the magazine.
Subscribe to Dutch the magazine for all our Dutch recipes!
Recipe by Paola Westbeek