Every Saturday we visit our local organic market at Stadsboerderij Almere (City Farm Almere). Started in 1996, the farm is the place to get sustainable foods (including beef from their own cattle) and learn more about wholesome eating. The vegetable stand is a reflection of the seasons, and the people who work there take great pride in what they offer. They are very knowledgeable and always ready with delicious culinary tips. One Saturday, we listened in as a woman was advised on how to best prepare beets, and we haven’t stopped making them this way since.
This is a beautiful side dish to roast pork or a traditional Dutch meatball (gehaktbal) served with steamed potatoes.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large red beets, peeled and chopped (approx. 6 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup red wine
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan and add in the chopped onions.
- Soften for approx. 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beets and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine, cover and allow to simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
For more recipes with root vegetables, download Issue 45 of Dutch the magazine.
Subscribe to Dutch the magazine for all our Dutch recipes!